If you’re an American Ninja Warrior fan, you probably feel like you know host Akbar Gbajabiamila pretty well. After all, each season we spend hours listening to his exuberant commentary and having one-sided conversations with your TV around it. (Is that just us?)
But recently, Akbar called into the Wolfpack Ninja podcast and gave us an awesome look at the man behind television’s greatest puns. He’s a family man, he’s dedicated to his community, and he’s passionate about mental, physical and spiritual health.
You can check out the entire podcast here, and at the bottom of this article. Here are 12 facts you’ll learn along the way.
- He has four kids.
- He played in the NFL for five years.
- His parents were both born in Nigeria.
- If you thought his name was awesome before, get ready. His first name means “great” in Arabic. Part of his middle name means “born after twins.” And his last name means, wait for it, “Big man come save me.”
- The family’s last name developed its meaning because Akbar’s great-great grandfather was a seven foot tall man who always helped mediate conflicts in the village. So... “Big man come save me.”
- Akbar has six siblings.
- He once helped a cop during a hit and run by using his car to protect the fallen officer and then chasing down the perpetrator to collect the license place number. It’s pretty epic. Listen to it at about the 13:30 mark.
- Yes, he actually IS that excited on American Ninja Warrior.
- He’s raising his kids to always help others. One of his daughter’s has a heart for the homeless and tries to do everything she can to help those in need.
- His number one piece of advice is “Get up. Look up. Never give up.”
- He has quit processed sugar and strongly encourages others to do the same.
My wife, ladies + gentlemen, cooked a hella good meal last night, I just had to share! Healthy, clean + OH SO tasty! Recipe: 1 TSP Chili pepper 1 TSP Paprika 1/2 TSP Oregano 1/2 TSP Garlic 3 bell peppers cut in half. 1 lb ground turkey breast 1 cup of cooked lentils 1/2 cup of onion 1/2 cup of carrots 1/2 cup of celery 1/3 cup of black olives 2 cup of fresh salsa 1 Avocado Fresh Cilantro for garnish 1/4 cup of pepper jack cheese (or skip the cheese!) 1️⃣Sautée onions, celery, and carrots in olive oil until tender 2️⃣Add ground turkey (All spices w/pepper to taste) and cook until brown 3️⃣Add lentils, olives, 1 1/2 cup fresh mild salsa or add to taste 4️⃣Place small spoon full of salsa inside each pepper And then add meat mixture 5️⃣Bake at 350 for 30-40 min until Pepper is tender 6️⃣Sprinkle cilantro, paper jack cheese and sliced avocado before serving + ENJOY! #healthylife #healthyfood #healthyeating #dinnertime #cleaneating #cleanfood #fitness #recipe
- Team Ninja Warrior is exhausting on his vocals due to the non-stop action.
Listen to Akbar’s full interview with Noah Kaufman and the Wolfpack!
The Wolfpack is currently selling tickets to their huge Wolfpack Ninja Tour event in Denver, CO. Learn more and purchase tickets here.